Saturday, March 7, 2015

Jotting it all down: Forms, Documentation, and Organization in School Counseling



Hello Counselors!!

It's been awhile since I've blogged! Things have been busy and I'm so glad to get back on here today!! Another thing that I am learning throughout my internship is finding a system for "Jotting it all down". Keeping track, documenting, and organizing are important parts of the job, and I've been working to find a system that works for me. I would also like to share some of the things that have worked for me:

1. Having a central place for everything: Structure is important for me, and when I had multiple folders for similar things, it started to get a bit overwhelming. Whether its an accordion file, file folders, binder, use what works for you!! I use a combination of file folders and a binder. Binders are extremely helpful for organization, and a great way to keep all of my counseling stuff organized, and everything stays in one place :) I typically use my file folders for keeping track of materials that need to be submitted such as applications, bulletin board materials, etc.

2. Clipboard and Forms: My clipboard is great for jotting down notes and keeping track on my logs!! When the logs are complete, I keep them in the "counseling logs" section of my binder! The forms and notes pages on my clipboard help remind me of what currently needs to be done. I purchased mine at Target for $4.00. I've also seen some cute personalized clipboards on Etsy that I have my eye on :) I always keep a pen clipped onto my clipboard for easy access!

3. Scrap Paper is your friend: Scrap paper is great way to jot down a quick note. I keep an envelope on my clipboard where I can keep my scrap paper reminders. Feel free to use old worksheets, cut them in 4's, and reuse the blank back pages for jotting down notes! Also, if you keep a file for each student, it can also be great for jotting down notes for your file.

4. Google Docs: I got introduced to google docs this year, and I love it :) I've began using it to create and email forms. For example, I created a classroom guidance survey for teachers on when to visit classrooms, specific topics, etc. The forms you create can also be emailed or used as a hard copy. You can also use it for documentation, and The Stylish School Counselor has a great post on google drive documentation that you can check out  by clicking HERE.


If you're a form-person (like me!) I have a few items in my TeachersPayTeachers Store that you can check out:

This message log is great for keeping track of messages from parents, teachers, and other staff members and documentation date & time of when the call was returned. You can download this item in my TpT store for FREE. Click HERE to download!!

This communication log is perfect for contacts and keeping track of conversations during our school day. There is space for name, date, notes, and if a follow up is needed.You can click HERE to download :)


My School Counselor Organization Pack and Planner Pack have been helpful to me also. I created this product because it really suits my needs, and I hope you find them useful too! 



You can purchase these for $2.50 each, and the School Counselor Planner Pack has been revised and now includes a BONUS Monday-Friday 2015-2016 calendar!! The School Counselor Organization Pack is available in many colors: You can click on the colors below to check it out in my TpT store:

Turquoise and Orange
Black and White
Pink and Green
Purple and Yellow


I hope that you found this post useful!!

How do you stay organized in the world of school counseling? Feel free to comment below, post on my facebook page/facebook message, or email at cheerfulcounseling@yahoo.com!! I would love to hear from you!!

~Nicole



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...